link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)

Article: <5egnlt$jvj@dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW (1-6)
Date: 20 Feb 1997 05:32:45 GMT

In article <5ef3pd$hah@pollux.cmc.ec.gc.ca> Greg Neill writes:
>>> When a comet is at a distance of 14 AU, the surface
>>> temperature of the dark nucleus will be between 74 and
>>> 88 degrees Kelvin already. CO and several other
>>> volatiles, including CO2, H2CO, and H2S have
>>> sublimation temperatures below these temperatures and
>>> are able to drive a distant cometary outburst.
>>> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)
>
>>Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
>> And whatever happened to all that outgassing when the
>> so-called comet passed the Sun, rounding the Sun, and still
>> presumably warming from all this closeness to the Sun,
>> came back for a second pass? Do we see huge clouds of
>> those volatiles now? We see NO CLOUDS OF VOLATILES.
>
> Once a comet rounds the Sun, as it proceeds away from Sun
> the activity will drop. This is because as it grows more distant,
> the Sun's radiation is less (inverse square law). At some distance
> the available heat from the Sun is so low that outgassing will
> essentially stop, and the cometary behavior becomes dormant.
> ynecgan@cmc.doe.ca (Greg Neill)

Greg, the point you are avoiding is that OUTGASSING INCREASES AS THE COMET APPROACHES THE SUN, AND ONLY DIMINISHES LONG AFTER IT LEAVES. With the fraud Hale-Bopp, it was going wild, if we are to believe the nonsense put forth, in 1995, and was visible in 1993 when it was farther out than any comet of record. Looked HUGE, for a comet, and was outgassing over such a wide area it seemed totally improbably for a comet. Now, all that activity was supposed to continually INCREASE upon approach, but the opposite happened. If the leadership hadn't been sworn to silence when this fraud was born, you'd be hearing the snickers and smirks. How can you be so utterly gullible!

Analogy: Child is brought to kindergarten, 7 foot tall, 350 lb., spouting 7 languages. The teacher is amazed but told this is just an exceptional child. Child is brought back next year to first grade, 4 foot tall, 80 lb., and barely speaking broken English. The teacher looks at the records and asks how a child could have shrunk and gone retarded in just a year, when the opposite is supposed to happen! At the very least, they retain their height and weight and intellectual development. Parent says

  1. many Homo Sapiens are 7 feet tall
  2. there are a number of cases on record where Homo Sapien carried weight up to 350 lb.
  3. a number of universities record students who can speak several languages

Now, what's wrong with this picture?