link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW

Article: <5enp9i$pjn@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW
Date: 22 Feb 1997 21:43:14 GMT

This debate has been cross-posted to sci.astro.amateur, sci.astro.planetarium, sci.space.news, and alt.paranormal as CNN did not choose to list sci.astro among the Usenet sites where information on Hale-Bopp could be located. Check

http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword900.htm

for the sci.astro debate thread history.

In article <5elfet$11fc@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> (Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
>> There is NO comparison here, as the turnaround of comets
>> out in space, outside of your view, is a COMPLETE
>> UNKNOWN!
>
> Well, I guess Sir Edmund Halley was wrong. Even though
> comet Halley disappears off into the far reaches of the solar
> system where we can't see it any more ...
>
> Further, there are other comets whose orbits take them out
> beyond Neptune, including P/Swift-Tuttle and P/Herschel-
> Rigollet which have been seen at more than 1 perihelion
> passage.
>jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
All comets within your Solar System which at all times have more gravity pull to the side than to the back. You're proving our point here, Jim!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5elfet$11fc@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> (Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
>> Bottom line, you have the comet entering at point A, circling
>> around the Sun and leaving at point B, then going out into
>> space and SOMEHOW, magically, moving from point B to
>> point A again for a re-entry into the Solar System. The
>> explanation given is that it forms an ellipse, which is a
>> DESCRIPTION of what you are viewing during the
>> limited time it is in the Solar System, not an explanation ...
>> The comet, shooting AWAY from the Sun, has more pull
>> backwards than sideways, in the extreme. So why would it
>> move to the side, dramatically, from point B back to point A?
>
> Because it is in orbit around the sun - a predictable elliptical
> orbit similar to the orbits of all the planets (though much more
> eccentric).
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
Picture that eccentric orbit! It's moving AWAY from the Solar System, the comet slowing down. Your geometry requires it to mirror the turnaround, out in space, that occurred when the comet went round the Sun. What gravity focus does it have way out in space? Unlike bodies within your Solar System, an eccentric orbit has the body in an essential straight-away from the Sun, the gravity to its BACK. In this situation, it would slow to a halt. Beyond the issue of the lack of a second focus, where would it get its momentum to move from point B to point A?
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5elfet$11fc@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> (Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
>> The current explanation for comet behavior doesn't even
>> take into consideration recent evidence that comet orbits
>> form more of an ice cream cone shape than an elliptical
>> shape. This gets published and promptly forgotten, as the
>> adjustment in thinking give astronomers a headache.
>
> Ice cream cone shape? Where did you ever get that idea?
> Conical sections (i.e. cuts through a cone) go from circular
> if straight across, to elliptical if at an angle that goes through
> both sides, to parabolic and to hyperbolic.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

Jim, I myself have seen an article on that issue, though I can't remember where it was published, some years ago but within the decade. Speculation based on new observations due to the Hubble, I believe, that comet orbits were not as had been assumed, and leading to the speculation that perhaps the orbit shape looked more like an ice cream cone. The Zetas are confirming that shape. Check the diagram at:

http://www.zetatalk.com/science/s50.htm