link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW

Article: <5eq0fd$lrj@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW
Date: 23 Feb 1997 17:58:05 GMT

In article: <5eo778$i90@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> In fact, its behavior in 1995 was what one would expect from
>> a nova, and the lack of anything that looks to be anything but
>> a star in the mostly unmapped sky since then.
>> (End ZetaTalk[TM])
>
> I have never seen a nova act like the object you claim has acted.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
During 1995, when you were pointing to a nova and claiming this was a new comet called Hale-Bopp, it had ALL the appearances of a nova and NONE of the appearances of a comet. We're not talking about 1996 and 1997 here, when you were stuck with trying to dodge your fraud to line up with this or that star cluster or run it through a part of the sky so cluttered with unmapped stars that something could always be found on the orbit points published. We will ask our emissary, Nancy, to post some descriptions from the 1995 time period for the readership so they can judge for themselves.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

European Southern Observatory
http://www.eso.org/
The Enormous Size of Comet Hale-Bopp

This series of three photos of the unusual Comet Hale-Bopp demonstrates that the comet is much larger than thought so far. In fact, its nucleus is surrounded by a dust cloud that measures more than 2.5 million kilometres across. Note that because of the wide field they represent, each of the images is available in two sizes, the larger of which has considerably better resolution.

Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias
Comet Hale-Bopp Is Coming!
By Edwin L. Aguirre
November 1995

Comet Hale-Bopp was easy to mistake for a globular cluster, several of which are identified by Messier or NGC numbers in this Sky & Telescope finder chart. .. bewitching nuclear changes. They saw the comet's pseudonucleus evolve from a small, weak condensation within the coma on August 19th to a perfectly stellar, 12th-magnitude point the following night. "The comet seems to be undergoing continuous outbursts one after another, and there is no sign that this activity is letting up," according to Morris.

Sky & Telescope
Why is Comet Hale-Bopp now so bright?

the comet's brightness will begin to fade after a while, as the dust particles ejected during the outburst slowly disperse into space.

Some definitions from the Encyclopedia Britannica

nova, plural NOVAS, or NOVAE, any of a class of exploding stars whose luminosity temporarily increases from several thousand to as much as 100,000 times its normal level. A nova reaches maximum luminosity within hours after its outburst and may shine intensely for several days or occasionally for a few weeks, after which it slowly returns to its former level of luminosity. Stars that become novas are nearly always too faint before eruption to be seen with the unaided eye. Their sudden increase in luminosity, however, is sometimes great enough to make them readily visible in the nighttime sky.

supernova, plural SUPERNOVAS or SUPERNOVAE, any of a class of violently exploding stars .. Supernovae resemble nova in several respects. Both are characterized by a tremendous, rapid brightening followed by slow dimming. .. When a star goes "supernova," considerable amounts of its material, equaling the material of several Suns, may be blasted into space with such a burst of energy as to enable the exploding star to outshine its entire home galaxy consisting of hundreds of billions of stars.

comet, any of a class of small celestial objects in orbit around the Sun that develop diffuse gaseous envelopes and often long luminous tails when near the Sun. Comets are commonly distinguished from other components of the solar system by their rather nebulous appearance and extremely elongated orbits.