link to Home Page

Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW

Article: <5esa2j$f81@dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: Hale-Bopp THEN and NOW
Date: 24 Feb 1997 14:54:11 GMT

Various non-answers.

In article: <5eq1ql$9ck$1@towncrier.osf.org> David Brooks writes:
>> (Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
>> According to your laws of gravity and motion, just how
>> does it get from one side of the ellipse to the other?
>
> Momentum. Next?
> dbrooks@x.org (David Brooks)

During all those discussions on perturbations, everyone was agreeing that momentum carries a body forward in a straight line! How come it starts going sideways more than forward?

In article: <5eoldt$mlo@nntp1.u.washington.edu>
> On the other hand, when the comet is at its furthest point,
> the force of gravity is very small, but the comet is travelling
> extremely slowly and therefore that force has a lot of time to
> act in order to change it's direction, and therefore the orbit
> at its most distant point is also very curved.
> lamontg@nospam.washington.edu

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
Here we're hearing that the comet "has time" to change its direction, not WHY it would change its direction, which was the question. If the comet has slowed and has the Sun more to it's back that to its side, WHY would the comet NOT start falling back toward the Sun, directly. WHY would it move increasingly toward the side instead? Motion is in a straight line unless perturbations occur. If you're claiming that the comet is listening to the Sun, then WHY would it drift to the side over this dramatic swath of space instead of doing what a body listening to a gravity attraction toward its BACK would do?

We expect to get a lecture on how there is a sideways component on the mirror side of the Magical Ellipse at all times, and that THIS is the WHY. This negates the fact that the backwards component is overwhelmingly the dominant influence, and by the laws of gravity that are being quoted, would cause the slowing comet to start to fall toward the Sun, directly. Our point is, there is NO influence out in space to make the comet do anything but continue the degree of curve that it has on the elongated side of the ellipse. It should AT MOST continue at that curvature until it stops, and then fall directly back toward the Sun.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])