link to Home Page

Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative

Article: <5f1hf4$jfh@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative
Date: 26 Feb 1997 14:31:00 GMT

In article <5evktr$s2c@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
> Nancy writes:
>> So the ESO is CORRECT when they state, as documented on the
>> web site at http://www.zetatalk.com/theword/tword05s.htm
>
> Just because we hadn't observed a comet active at 10 AU
> before doesn't mean they aren't active out there. It may just
> mean we've never been able to see its activity out that far
> either because they are too faint or have not yet been
> discovered when they're still out at that distance.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

Why is it so hard for you guys to just admit it! Its like pulling teeth!

  1. Hale-Bopp IS THE ONLY known case where a supposed comet outgassed at that distance prior to perihelion, and it was visible from Earth. This is just one fact laid up alongside the others showing that something is terribly amiss here.
  2. What caused the outgassing, and where the heck did it GO!
  3. Why could the ESO find NO comet emissions during their authoritative study?
  4. Why were the Hubble pictures of this suspect hidden when it was supposed to be the comet of the millennium?
  5. Why did Brian Marsden try so damn hard to fit the 1993 McNaught image that he had to throw out 90% of the data the public gave him in order to make it fit!
  6. How could a comet perturb AWAY from Jupiter?
  7. If a .0001% change in the eccentricity affects the orbit periodicy, per Tholen, then how could a .0003% change in the published Hale-Bopp orbit not affect the 4,000 year orbit that was so brazenly announced?
  8. What was the observed change that supposedly required JPL to tighten the eccentricity in the Hale-Bopp orbit, so it could move toward an occultation with Gamma Andormedae, last June?

Etc, etc.