link to Home Page

Re: TUNGUSKA

Article: <5fa2hs$7vo@sjx-ixn10.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: TUNGUSKA
Date: 1 Mar 1997 20:11:40 GMT

In article <5f4c90$1dem@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
> Compression and heat can indeed cause a non-explosive
> material to explode. If the material is not contained in
> some way, or the compressive forces exceed the strength of
> the container, you get an expansion of the compressed
> material until it reaches an equilibrium with its surroundings.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)
> Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
> jscotti@lpl.arizona.edu
> University of Arizona
> Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
> http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
And how does this differ from what occurs during an atomic explosion. The Chicken Soup scenario is an externally imposed EXPANSION caused by the insertion of heat particles. The compression or expansion in such as case is regulated by the container. In the case of your Chicken Soup, the tin can was not designed to withstand extreme pressure, in fact has seams that come apart as easily as they were put together. Translating this scenario to a meteor, which heats FROM THE OUTSIDE IN, would not find the meteor interior getting hot but would find the exterior melting, thus allowing expansion of any interior warming. Your meteor would burn on the outside, melt on the outside, but would not explode.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])