link to Home Page

Re: TUNGUSKA

Article: <5fmof7$gj3@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: TUNGUSKA
Date: 6 Mar 1997 15:39:19 GMT

In article <5fi80o$4k4@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
> So, what set off the methane gas explosion? According to
> eyewitnesses of the explosion, it occurred in clear skies at
> about 7:17 AM on the morning of June 30, 1908. And what
> about the fireball that was seen by many witnesses crossing
> from southeast to northwest just before the explosion?
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
Imagine a tightly capped landfill, not just capped with ground that would allow seepage of the methane accumulating there, but an air-tight seal such as a metal plate. A virtual dome of gas, compressed against the top of the dome by the inability to move upward as methane gas would naturally do. A slight crack occurs in the metal plate over this landfill, this explosion waiting to happen. The gas hisses out, pushing aside the normal atmosphere and forming a large invisible cloud of methane gas as the rising gas is closely followed by yet more gas hissing from the compressed dome now venting.

The air is still, but as always there are prevailing westerlies, which blow the methane a bit to the east. Now comes a spark, which DOES occur in the atmosphere and not just when lightning visible to humans occurs. On a smaller scale, these sparks occur when air masses are on the move. The spark ignites the methane that drifted east, and as would be expected the path of the rapidly burning methane would travel BACK along the slowly drifting cloud, back to the source. Whomp, then BLAM!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])

In article <5fi80o$4k4@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
> Where is the exit point of this buried pocket of methane?
> Are you perhaps implying that a small opening would vent
> enough methane into presumably still air so that it would not
> disburse - enough methane to generate an explosion as big
> as a 15-20 megaton nuclear explosion? And where is this
> "wet recently deposited volcanic ash" you mention? The
> Tunguska region is covered in swampy peat bogs and
> permafrost, not by volcanic ash.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
You answered your own question. Check out the permafrost, a permanently frozen layer of earth. Where the few inches above the permafrost, perhaps a foot or two, melt during the summer months due to warmed air and increased sunlight, the permafrost layer, as the name implies, is PERPETUALLY FROZEN. We described the sequence of events, the same sequence that explains the thick ice cap that rides atop Greenland. Greenland was formerly at the north pole, and Tunguska at a far warmer latitude. A recent pole shift, a few thousand years ago, moved the Earth's crust so that Greenland moved south and simultaneously Tunguska moved north. Thus the flash frozen mastodons, with green grass and buttercups in their stomachs.
(End ZetaTalk[TM])