link to Home Page

Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative

Article: <5fpeeq$gcg@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: IN SYMPATHY to the Hale-Bopp Cooperative
Date: 7 Mar 1997 16:06:50 GMT

In article <857637972snz@nezumi.demon.co.uk> Martin Tom Brown writes:
> My point which is crucial here is that over the time baseline
> we have data for it is impossible to determine the eccentricity
> to any greater accuracy than 4-5 digits. The variation you are
> complaining about is mostly due to experimental error.
> Martin@nezumi.demon.co.uk (Martin Tom Brown)

JPL announced new Orbital Elements on May 28, 1996, which they said were based on observations of the mythical Hale-Bopp up to May 25, 1996. So they were stating that they OBSERVED Hale-Bopp at Dec -15! Then on June 27, 1996, they said based on OBSERVATIONS up to June 23, 1996, that they decided Hale-Bopp was not 2 arc minutes away, at Dec -12, and oh by the way, was there on May 28 TOO!. This isn't experimental, this is based on observations! Then they shortened the eccentricity, a move which would send a comet OUT into a different portion of space after rounding the Sun than it would otherwise. WHY!!!! What observation between those two dates are they using to justify that?

In article <5fndin$6qg@pollux.cmc.ec.gc.ca> Greg Neill writes:
> No Nance, the eccentricity is related to the ratio of the long
> axis to the short axis (major to minor axes). ... The
> eccentricity is just an orbital parameter, subject to change
> as an orbit is refined. Why do you have difficulty with this?
> ynecgan@cmc.doe.ca (Greg Neill)

The issue, Greg, is WHY the eccentricity was SHORTENED between May 28, 1996 and June 27, 1996 by JPL. They said this was "per observations" between May 25 and June 23. What observations would cause THIS! In addition to the shortened eccentricity, the path was jumped 3 arc minutes away from Jupiter, all in the same Orbital Element change. These two changes, both unexplained and the jump away from Jupiter illogical, ARE IN CONTRADICTION TO EACH OTHER. Yet everyone holds JPL up and takes whatever they say as unmitigated fact. Baaa go the Sheep of sci.astro!

In article <01bc2a71$a7114850$1701210a@garrett> Greg Neill writes:
> This loon must actually think that publishes orbital parameters
> AFFECT THE ACTUAL COMET ITSELF!
> "Garrett" <no.garrett.spam@en.com>

It affects where folks LOOK to FIND a comet, and THAT was my point. As the Zetas asked me to demonstrate, the trend with the four official Orbital Elements published on 11/95 by the IAU, 2/2/22 by NASA, 5/28/96 by JPL and then 6/27/96 by JPL showed a stead march of where the mythical Hale-Bopp would be on perihelion TO OCCULT GAMMA ANDROMEDAE. Then the newspapers would be saying "See that bright star up there? That's Hale-Bopp!"