link to Home Page

Re: LONG ELLIPSE ORBITS

Article: <5grkt2$rhl@sjx-ixn8.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: LONG ELLIPSE ORBITS
Date: 20 Mar 1997 15:25:22 GMT

In article <5gils7$n00@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:

>>> There is no magic involved here - its just simple physics
>>> and math.
>>> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)
>
>> What is the DIFFERENCE between what you call a
>> hyperbolic orbit that will not return, and an elliptical orbit!
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> Once again, the difference between a hyperbolic and
> elliptical orbit is that an elliptical orbit is a closed orbit
> - the object continues around and returns to where it started.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
Are you saying that OTHER than this, there are no other DIFFERENCES?
The curve is the same? The drawing out into an essentially straight line in the long stretch is the same? We're sure your not saying that the eccentricity is the same. In fact, other than the eccentricity, there is no difference. Is this not true? The curve around the Sun allows you to speculate the far end of what you assume to be an ellipse.

  1. If the curve going INTO the Sun is sharp, and the curve going AROUND the Sun is sharp, then you mentally complete the ellipse and see an object returning.
  2. If the curve going INTO the Sun is almost straight, and the curve going AROUND the Sun is broad, you mentally complete an ellipse that would put the curve necessary to return so far out in space that you assume the comet to be immune to the Sun's gravity.
  3. If the curve going INTO the Sun is almost straight, but the curve going AROUND the Sun is sharp, you call this a long period ellipse and pronounce some date for the return that can't be verified.
  4. If the curve going INTO the Sun is sharp, but the curve going AROUND the Sun is broad, you have a short period comet, the ellipse approaching a circular orbit.

Now, taking the nose AROUND the Sun, if this is broad it could be for what you call a hyperbolic comet, one that would not return, or a short period comet! Taking the curve going INTO the Sun, if this is almost straight this could be for what you call a hyperbolic comet, never to return, or what you call a long period comet. Since we've answered the question for you, Jim, perhaps you could address the part that is the focus of this subject. WHY and HOW does what you call a long period comet do the turnaround out in space such that it moves sideways, across a vast amount of space, to re-enter at a point other than where it left!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])