link to Home Page

Re: LONG ELLIPSE ORBITS

Article: <5grlc5$69o@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy )
Subject: Re: LONG ELLIPSE ORBITS
Date: 20 Mar 1997 15:33:25 GMT

In article <5giskg$hnu@nntp1.u.washington.edu> Lamont Granquist writes:
>You've completely avoided the question! What is the DIFFERENCE between
>what you call a hyperbolic orbit that will not return, and an
>elliptical orbit!
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> Energy. Just like a skater in a half-pipe who doesn't have
> enough kinetic energy to get up the side an elliptically
> orbiting comet doesn't have enough kinetic energy to escape
> the solar system. On the other hand, give the skater, say a
> km/sec velocity and they'll hit the half-pipe and get launched
> into orbit...
> lamontg@nospam.washington.edu

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
It's speed? All this while Jim Scotti has been saying its the curvature going into the round about the Sun, and now we learn its the speed? So hyperbolic comets are going faster? Could you give us some examples? What is the ramp up that makes they become hyperbolic? I'm sure the readership would like to know, as its news to THEM! They all kind of float along out there, seemingly the same speed, and now we hear that those jazzy hyperbolics are speed racer, all along!

Tisk, the secret life of comets. Who would have guessed!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])