link to Home Page

Re: 12th Planet - any photos ?

Article: <5htrnh$sgj@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>
From: saquo@ix.netcom.com(Nancy)
Subject: Re: 12th Planet - any photos ?
Date: 2 Apr 1997 14:50:25 GMT

In article: <5hkkig$p1k$3@news.ccit.arizona.edu> Jim Scotti writes:
>> Placing the comet on what you assume to be a long period
>> ellipse, at the end of what you assume to be the far side of
>> the ellipse, WHAT is the force that causes it to move from
>> one side of the ellipse to another, the tight curve out in space?
>> Gravity? That's a directly line to the Sun. Motion? Its a
>> straight line unless another force is applied. Perturbation?
>> What object perturbs it outside of the Solar System?
>> ZetaTalk[TM]
>
> Force? Gravity from the Sun. That and the bodies
> momentum. The force of gravity acts on the comet all the
> way around its orbit - it doesn't turn off magically - it follows
> an inverse square law - double the distance, you have 1/4 the
> force. Works like a charm to predict the motion of everything
> we've had the pleasure to test it on.
> jscotti@LPL.Arizona.EDU (Jim Scotti)

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
What! You're completely ignoring WHAT would occur and nattering on as thought your laws were discombobulated entities lying in parts around the room! You walk over to one and pick it up and mutter "inverse square law", then you put that part down and wander over to another disembodies part and mutter "momentum". You CAN'T PUT THEM TOGETHER. This is our point, and you're proving it for us! Here't the challenge to you, Jim, and we're betting you can't meet it. The comet on what you call a long period ellipse, when pulling away from the Sun:

  1. the exiting comet is SLOWING DOWN as the distance between it and the Sun increases, will steadily decrease its speed and never regain this until re-entering the solar system for another loop around the Sun
  2. the exiting comet is REDUCING ITS CURVE as it goes into the long stretch of what you assume is an ellipse until it has LOST ITS CURVE as it stretched out while going into the long stretch where it comes close to moving in a straight line
  3. the exiting comet has the Sun MORE TO ITS BACK than to any other side, so as it slows upon existing the force of gravity would be pulling it BACK toward the Sun.
  4. the exiting comet has lost its momentum, INCLUDING ITS SIDEWAYS MOMENTUM as it increasingly slow.

Now imagine this comet, slowing down almost to a halt out there in space, with the Sun to its back and its momentum in any directions slowed. The comet is NOT destined to stay that distance away from the Sun in an orbit as it has just SHOWN YOU that it CAN come closer to the Sun on its dramatic loop around the Sun. So why would it chose to move sideways in a long orbit out in space? Why not start another trek back in toward the Sun where it is?

Your laws of motion state that an object moves in a straight line unless a force is applied. You're stating that the force causing the comet to move sideways is the force of gravity to its BACK. Huh? Your laws of gravity state that object move TOWARD each other at an inverse square force, so you can't use gravity as the force moving the comet sideways. Not without ignoring your law of gravity, as you want to do. PUT THESE LAWS TOGETHER AND MAKE THEM WORK. Can't do it, as there is a flaw in your logic which you are ignoring, hoping we'll go away or our emissary, Nancy will be driven away by your insults. We won't, she won't, and you CAN'T make your laws work together. Admit it!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])