link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: MAGNITUDE Clarification 1

In Article <9etpvf$80f$1@news1.xs4all.nl> Josh wrote:
>Absolute Magnitude (2 types!!):
>-----------------------------
>For "Star"-objects this is 10 parsecs, or 32 lightyears.
>So (let's be as explicit as possible), the
>Absolute-magnitude-star-type you "fly" to a position
>10 parsecs away from the object and note it's brightness
>no matter what. So, the
>Absolute-magnitude-solar_system-type you "fly" to a
>position 1 Earth-Sun away from the object and note
>it's brightness no matter what.
>
>Aparent Magnitude (one type):
>-----------------------------
>For "Solar system"-object this distance is simply the
>current distance from earth, so you don't have to travel
>anywhere, and the magnitude will be a function of
>distance: the closer, the more bright it will seem from
>earth, so the higher the Aparent-magnitude number.
>The Absolute-magnitude number however will be fixed,
>or better, dependant on the light that the body emits only.

And then we have Zeta Magnitude.  They have stated, in 1995:

    At the current time [Planet X] is approximately
    magnitude 2.0 in brightness
        ZetaTalk™, Comet Visible

So what did they mean in the above statement?  Time to ask.

    When comparing the Magnitude of objects that can
    be viewed from Earth, our intent in this general-public
    statement made in 1995, we considered all visible light.
    The IRAS team went looking for Planet X in the early
    1980's with infra-red because they understood that the
    spectrum was almost exclusively RED, and thus the
    imaging equipment used by observatories would falter.
    Infra-red, of course, is a visible light to some of us,
    and there is some human equipment, night vision, that
    is atuned to this.  Astronomy equipment, to sell, was
    designed to locate and image stars and planets
    reflecting sunlight.  Are they not in the business, wishing
    to stay profitable?  Infra-red equipment is in the hands of
    few, and very expensive, as it is NOT in general demand.
    It was built for observatories, upon demand, and the price
    tag reflected this.  We, the Zetas, with our equipment,
    see Planet X from Earth is accordance with your math
    for a Magnitude 2.0 object.  Should your equipment be
    calibrated to give an almost exclusively red object that
    same advantage that the predominant light spectrum from
    starlight gets, you'd see it.  This was explained, but ignored
    in the main.  So as Nancy suspects, there is a Zeta
    Magnitude of 2.0, for those who can see a broader
    light spectrum and whose equipment is not as limited
    as the equipment currently utilized by humans.
        ZetaTalk™

They did state:

    The composition is not the composition of reflecting
    sunlight, but is almost exclusively in the spectrum you
    would call red light. Thus you will do best if you filter
    for red light, and by this we mean filtering out all but
    red light.
        ZetaTalk™, Comet Visible

So Zeta Magnitude is Apparent Magnitude as seen by non-discriminating
equipment or a broad spectrum eye.  They HAVE stated, by the way, that
the reason we see them as gray is because our eyes are limited.

    Most of the alien forms they will meet will be gray (or
    grey as some spell it). Of the some thousand or more
    visitors to Earth, over half have been of a gray tone.
    Why is this? The color is what the eye can perceive. Do
    you imagine that the human eye sees all? Your scientists
    will tell you this is not so, that your eyes see a very
    small spectrum of what is to be seen. When the color
    of the skin before you cannot be seen by you, you
    register gray. It is impossible to describe the color
    spectrum that humans are missing, as they would have
    no frame of reference. The colors are new to humans.
    The rainbows we see have dozens of colors beyond the
    rainbows you see.
         ZetaTalk™, Many Greys
           (http://www.zetatalk.com/worlds/w05.htm)