link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: Alternative Explanation 2

Bob May wrote:

> Sounds like you need to find out how the amateur CCD users manage to produce
> so many nice color images of things.

Sure, they buy commercially available cameras that come in a cardboard
box.  On the one side is an interface to the eyepiece of their telescope
and on the other is either USB, firewire or a serial port connection to
a PC.  In between is a whole bunch of magic that you seem to be clueless
about, but the end result is a nice picture.

> --
> Bob May
> Remember that computers do exactly what you tell them to do, not what you
> think you told them to do.

Uh, Sorry Bob, I'll be willing to go head to head with you any time on
how CCD cameras work...  Actually, if anything, your comments from
wll.

I may not know the constellations or understand General Relativity, but
I have CCD cameras down cold, "from the scene to the screen".

This is a test:

1) What is an anti-aliasing filter, and give an example.
2) Why is it important?
3) Why might you need the above with a color camera?  With a B/W camera?
4) What does the Beyer pattern mean to the contrast transfer function in
   the best case?
5) Identify and describe three sources of fixed pattern noise.  What (if
   anything) can be done about each one?
6) Identify and describe three sources of random noise.  What (if
   anything) can be done about each one?

Extra Credit:

1) What does a CMOS sensor enable that a CCD does not?  Why is a CMOS
   sensor better/worse than a CCD?
The Small Kahuna