link to Home Page

Re: Planet X VIEWING, Restated

In Article <emui0usqf8e6ekvaoll2pqb0d4e6uqgm72@4ax.com> Bob Officer wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:21:57 -0800, Steve Havas wrote:

>>> Havas was an Non-experienced observer, he could have been shown
>>> anything in the scope to appease him. I think someone was having a
>>> good laugh. Havas ran right back to Nancy shouting "I saw it", "I saw
>>> it!"
>
>> Could have been shown anything? The telescope was pointed at Nancy
>> coordinates, I looked through and saw a dark spot out of the corner of my
>> eye, the operator would not take a look when I asked him what it was, I
>> looked away and back several times to make sure I was seeing it and that was
>> that. Sorry, but I didn't see anyone chuckling in the corner...
>
> And what co-ordinates where those, Was it hours or degrees of Right
> Ascension? Was it J2000, or 1950? You tell us these details.

I gave the operator the coordinates in this format: RA: xx.xxxx   Dec:
xx.xxxx and did not specify hours or degrees. From several astronomers I
spoke to way back then this does not present any problems to locating an
object. J2000 or 1950? I did not ask him at the time but I would imagine
that he would have used the most up-to date system.