link to Home Page

Re: Planet X Observatory REFUSAL #2

David Paterson
> If Ms Jordaan is in New Zealand, why is she travelling
> to South Africa to use a telescope there

Oops, my bad.  .ZA is not New Zealand.  I think it's a country in
Africa.

In Article <2us42u0dmgsubgrqg50071j1fjiumg4hu0@4ax.com> David Paterson
> Also, exactly what arrangements were made to use the
> telescope?  I can't imagine a large research facility like
> this just "hiring out" one of their major instruments
> without a proper observing plan being submitted
> and discussed with the staff.

I think they both allow rental time AND public viewing time.  My
understanding is that the Lowell viewing was as a result of some cash
plunked down by Jim.  Steve Havas went during a public viewing time, I
gather.  From the reports last Spring.

   Subject: [tt-watch] My outing at Lowell Observatory
   Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:06:45 -0000

      On the night of Sunday April 1st 2001, I reserved the
      historic Clark 24" telescope at the Lowell observatory in
      Flagstaff, AZ, for my own private viewing.

  Subject: [tt-watch] The Stars Tonight
  Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001

      Gordon Macmillan Southam Observatory ..  I called the
      observatory around 7:30 and spoke to some guy and asked
      if it was okay to look at a object near the constellation
      Orion. ...  He recommended coming around 8:30.