link to Home Page

Re: OK Nancy, Where Is It?

Bob May wrote:

> Actually, Nancy did find a very faint piece of noise to encircle although
> she didn't get it centered on.  I used Irfanview to invert and then gamma
> correct, brightness and contrast enhance the image and found a splotch of a
> slightly brighter image in the area of her circle.  The splotch is of an
> extended area and is irregular and the difference between it and the
> surrounding region is only 1 count in difference making it problaby about 20
> or 21 for a mag intensity and due to the area, about 1 mag less for total
> intensity.  That's a long way from the supposed 11th mag that is claimed.
>
> --
> Bob May

In fact there is something at that location on both the PSS-1 and PSS-2
red images.  It is down at about 20th magnitude, well past what I was
willing to consider reliable detection (remember, 1 magnitude is a
factor of 2.5 in brightness)*.  Nancy will of course accept anything
that fits her notions.  If Nancy is willing to accept that noise splotch
on my image fine, its been there for 5 decades ... and I now can claim I
get down past 20th magnitude in 20 minutes instead of 18th or 19th.

* watch for Tholen to point out that 1 magnitude is not exactly 2.5 in
brightness but rather 2.51188643150958011108503206779933

I M Openminded