link to Home Page

Re: OK Nancy, Where Is It?

In Article <a210lg$i9v$1@oslo-nntp.eunet.no> Stig Bull wrote:
> Use Google and search for what a richter 15 earthquake
> would do to this planet.  Not even the thougest bacteria
> or amoeba would survive it.

First off, Richter is dependent upon SCOPE, as well as intensity.  I
note from my Britannica that there have been several Richter 8.5 or 8.6
recorded, as follows:
    8.7   1811   New Madrid
    8.6   1905   Kasmir
    8.6   1906   Chili
    8.5   1920   Chile
    8.5   1960   Chile
Chile is still standing, folks living through all that.  If all of South
America were to likewise rock and roll (10 times what hit Chile), they
would not all be dead.  Since you're such an adolescent, Stig, I'll
describe this all in terms you can relate to.

- For instance, you may stomp across the floor, making the vase on the
  table jiggle, and this is Richter 2.
- If you stumble and fall against the table, you may tip the vase over,
  a Richter 3.
- If you throw a fit because your mother yelled at you about being
  clumsy, and gave the table a shove, causing the vase to roll off the
  table and drop and crash to the floor, a Richter 4.
- Should your father, coming home in his Mack truck, hear you and your
  mother arguing again, and while cursing at you and stomping his foot
  accidentally floor it and drive the truck through poarch into the living
  room, causing the table AND the vase to shove forward, a Richter 5.
- Should the engine block crack and the heat of the spewing water ignite
  the gas tank, causing the truck to explode and blowing the walls of the
  house outward, simultaneously moving the table and vase a bit further
  out than they were before, a Richter 6.
- If simultaneously the gaslines under the street ignite and explode,
  causing the houses along the street to heave and bucket, a Richter 7,
  etc.

Now, the effect on the vase is one thing, what is going on about the
vase another.  The vase either jiggles or falls over or flies off the
table and falls to the floor or is blown for several feet before
smashing into something.  Pretend the vase is YOU.  If you, as the vase,
lay on the ground and ROLL instead of fly and smash, you may get by with
a crack or two.  Someone comes by after it's all over and find you, the
vase, with a crack, amid the rubble, and would they say "amazing,
because with a Richter 7, NOTHING should survive!".  If so, WRONG.  This
is what the Zetas have said about surviving the quakes:

    The earthquakes will essentially level all cities, and of
    course railways, landing strips, and highways and
    bridges will be unusable. Don't figure on any power or
    water systems to be functional, and the telephones
    will surely be permanently dead. Practically speaking,
    one should shield any mechanical or electrical devices
    one hopes to use after the cataclysms with extensive
    padding such as rubber mats. Wrap everything as
    though it were going to be dropped from a height of
    500 feet. Test this, and see if your device survives. If
    not, then sturdier devices may be required. Independent
    power sources, such as windmills, need to be secured.
    Batteries may be handy, but won't last long and will
    not be replaceable. Your mechanical and electrical
    structures will suffer damage from violent earthquakes
    more than your flesh and bones. You may bruise and
    break, but you heal. Your electrical device will stay
    broken. When the earthquakes are expected, lie flat.
    In this way you will skid and slide a few feet.
    Standing, or positioned at a height, you will be dashed.
    And by all means, do not be under a structure that
    will fall upon and crush you.
        ZetaTalk™, Safety Measures
            (http://www.zetatalk.com/poleshft/p48.htm)