link to Home Page

Re: Planet X Animated GIF

I M Openmind wrote in message <c6cdf9f8.0205100148.57409ac8@posting.google.com>
> Steve Havas wrote in message <9txC8.49413$xS2.3665823@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>
>> Michael L Cunningham wrote in message <3CDA7A01.2080706@earthlink.net>
>>>
>>> You had better check with your boy Nancy as he already admitted to his
>>> error. Steve Havas really doesn't know how to process a FITS image much
>>> less interpret it.
>>
>> --
>> No, the error was with the NEAT images which were NOT available for
>> viewing except for a small portion in the shape of a cross.
>> --- serious astrometry errors ---
>>
>> __________
>> I     I    I
>> I     I    I
>> I____ I____I  < ---narrow portion viewable horizontally across center and
>> I     I    I       vertically down center
>> I     I    I
>> I____ I____I
>>
>> --
>

> But I am sure that you will confirm what you have admitted before:
> your claim of proof of altered images turned out to be spurious
> because you were, in fact, comparing a PSS1 image with a PSS2 image.
> I shown this by posting portions of the headers of the FITS files to
> which you provided links.
>
> Please also post more detailed information on the "serious astrometry
> errors".  This message regularly shows up when PSS data are requested
> from the DSS for an area near the edge of the original PSS plate.
> Nancy says that you have received this message for NEAT images.
> Please specify a request position and a NEAT image number for which
> you have received this message so we can see whether Nancy's
> correction of my post was warranted.

The unavailable NEAT images were id: 20011216040155a  2001-12-16
                                   : 20011216055443a  2001-12-16
                                   : 20011216072630a  2001-12-16
and the errors showed up without any PSS data being requested. After trying
to access these images for 3 or 4 weeks they finally became viewable. The
requested location was 4 27 18, 12 8 52 or there's about as I would try
slightly different coordinates to see if it would make any difference.