link to Home Page

Re: Planet X: IMO Right, Nancy Wrong, about When to Look (long)

In Article <c6cdf9f8.0206201828.2b698d69@posting.google.com> I M Openmind wrote in message
> In Article <EHoQ8.45793$s82.3673466@news1.calgary.shaw.ca> Steve Havas wrote in message
>> In Article <c6cdf9f8.0206191628.71a36db8@posting.google.com> I M Openmind wrote
>>> In Article <k84Q8.38313$Lf2.3005714@news2.calgary.shaw.ca> Steve Havas wrote

>>> What position are you calling "Nancy's position"?  I am using her
>>> values posted where
>>> she has
>>> RA 4.404983 Dec 12.13895 Jun 30, 2002
>>> RA 4.402098 Dec 12.13698 Jun 22, 2002
>>> this is in Nancy units but converts to
>>> 4:24:10 12:08:15 interpolated to June 24
>>>
>>> That position rises in Capetown SA 18d27m E, 33d55m S
>>> at 5:32 and is 15 degrees above the horizon at 6:52
>>> the sun rises at 7:51 and is 12 degrees below the horizon at 6:52
>>> Thus the window of opportunity that I careful defined (coords 15
>>> degrees up at nautical twilight) begins June 24, 2002 as I stated.
>>
>> I was using Aldebaran as Nancy's position as I thought that was the position
>> you were using. I get the same numbers for rising etc. when I use 4:24:10
>> 12:08:15 as the position so it does appear a limited pre-dawn viewing is
>> possible at that time for those coordinates. Whether or not it is bright
>> enough to be seen at those light levels is a good question but viewing can
>> only get better as time goes on.
>
> This demonstrates Havas's lack of competance to comment on
> astronomical matters.  In the end, he admits that I was correct all
> along.  He happily uses Aldebaran rather than the position that Nancy
> has posted ... my guess is that he is simply unable to interpret
> "Nancy Units".  His lack of understanding that for a far southern
> site, Aldebaran would be a full 5 degrees lower in the sky than the
> Nancy position again shows his lack of ability to be a source on
> matters astronomical.  Of course had he simply looked at my posted
> plot of the sky from Capetown (
> http://us.geocities.com/openmindxx/whenNwhere.htm ) he would have seen
> the true orientation of the sun, Aldebaran, and the Nancy position.
> Of course, Havas is happy to accept Nancy's word that he saw her
> planet but is unwilling to open his eyes and mind to actual facts.

Give it a rest IMO, you originally screwed up on the DST and I errantly used
Aldebaran as the position. Your site still does not show the correct
position of the sun, Aldebaran from Capetown because at 7:52am the sun
should be shown rising on the horizon so why do you keep referencing your
plot when it is incorrect? Anyways, all this is moot because as Nancy has
mentioned in her last post that from what people have been telling her the
pre-dawn light polluted sky (2 hours before sunrise) does not make for
optimal viewing. Especially for an object as dim and diffuse as seen on the
images last winter and taking into consideration it being a certain degree
larger and brighter now. Last year, that astronomer I dealt with also told
me that those coordinates would not be viewable again until the fall (from
Vancouver). So, why would you tell people it should be visible in the sky an
hour before sunrise or do you not know how dark of a sky is needed to
adequately see dim, diffuse objects?
Steve Havas