link to Home Page

Re: Where's Planet X in the New Images?

Repost on another ISP - these messages seem to have gotten stuck somewhere.
(My apologies if you receive these twice.)
I M Openmind wrote:
> Michael L Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> I will try to do further comparisons this weekend as my schedule allows.
>> I'll also search the catalogs for background stars in those locations.
>> Have you attempted to establish a rough magnitude yet?
>
> When you do, take a look at my pages
> and click on "A Look at Steve's Sept. 21, 2002 Images".  I processed
> the complete set of R images using MaxIm_DL (master dark from 120
> second darks, dark subtract the R images, median combine) and I do not
> find any of the bunches of pixel noise pointed to by Charles, Jan, and
> Steve.  I provide my processed .fit file for examination.

I have downloaded IMO's fits file, and as he says, it does not show any of
the objects. IMO's combined image has a much higher background pixel level
and lower contrast than mine, It also misses out on the known object close
to the object identified as Planet X by ZetaTalk. His background pixel value
is in the area 475 to 500, whereas my processing with AIP4Win has brought
the background pixel level down to 375 to 385.

It should also be noted that I applied NONE of AIP4Win's enhancements
techniques available when stacking the images. I will play around with these
to see if I can get an even better result.

I also note that MaxIm DL has not updated the Fits header with the stacking
process, as AIP4Win has done on mine. Did you only process a single image,
IMO?

Whether IMO's poor result is due to deliberately trying to obscure the newly
found object, bad software or bad operations, I cannot determine. I would
tend to exclude the software though, as MaxIm DL AFAIK is a pretty good
piece of software.

I do however encourage anyone with knowledge about Fits image processing to
analyze IMO's combined image next to mine and judge for themselves.

Regards,
Jan